He still is getting fortified breastmilk, but we can start adding some nursing in so he gets reacquainted.
I thought I would write a timeline of what my days (when pumping) have looked like.
12 AM: pump 3 oz.
3 AM: pump 3 oz. and go upstairs to bring milk bottles and check on Ripley
6 AM: pump 3 oz.
8:15 AM: eat breakfast
8:45-10 AM: see Ripley and wait for rounds
9 AM: pump 3 oz. in Ripley's room
10-12: spend time in Ripley's room
12 PM: pump 3 oz. then eat lunch
1-3 PM: rest in Ronald McDonald House room
3 PM: pump 3 oz.
3-5 PM: spend time in Ripley's room
5 PM: dinner
6 PM: pump 3 oz.
6:30-9:30 PM: spend time in Ripley's room
9 PM: pump 3 oz.
9:30 PM: go back to Ronald McDonald House to rest
10:30 PM: try to fall asleep
When in Ripley's room, we try to help with his care by giving him bottles, giving him his medications, keeping him company, soothing him (he gets really upset by gas and constipation due to medications and overalls surgery recovery). I know his nurses would do all these tasks if we weren't here (and many parents aren't here), but I try to stay involved.
We are getting closer to going home and the last goals are to monitor his effusions since the chest tubes are out and make sure he is gaining weight. I am so ready to be home. I have met so many wonderful people here, from the nurses to a couple of the family service representatives at Ronald McDonald House to the volunteers and the doctors, who I have had great conversations with, but I am still ready to be home.
Aw yay! What an exhausting schedule! You're such a good mommy and happy that Ripley is doing well in recovery!
ReplyDelete