Friday, September 16, 2016

Post-op Day 10, Welcome Home!

We were pretty sure that we would get the news that we could go home.  I had trouble sleeping because if excitement, even though I also felt sad to leave a place that had become so familiar.  Ripley has been here almost half of his life (19 out of 41 days).  We had grown fond of the staff who provided such kind and comprehensive care to both my son and me.  I have never had experience with a children's hospital before so I can't compare it to another, but UCSF truly is a magical place.  

At rounds, we were told that Ripley's echocardiogram looked fine and that he just needed an EKG then we could go home!  Maybe Ripley didn't want to go home just yet because getting him to cooperate for the EKG was very difficult.  The sensor stickers had to be replaced several times because they kept peeling off of him.  He also kept crying.  

After the EKG, we spoke with the dietitian about the plan for Ripley to continue on fortified milk feeds until his pediatrician advises that we can go back to exclusively breastfeeding.  I highly doubt she would keep him on the fortified milk regimen for long because Ripley grows quite well, just like Madison did.  We spoke with the pharmacist about the medications Ripley would go home with.  He will continue Lasix (a diuretic), iron, and Vitamin D. He can have simethicone (gas relief) and acetaminophen (pain relief) as needed.

We packed all of our things, I had a teary eyed goodbye with Taira, and then we headed home.  It was so wonderful to see our girl, Madison, who was excited to see her baby brother.  We played together and I marveled at how much she has grown in the past 12 days.  She looks bigger and her vocabulary has gotten larger.  

I know that the first few days home will be quite the change as I will not have the advice or care of nurses around the clock, even though we tried to participate a lot in Ripley's care.  It will be very different not having many people to chat with, about light hearted banter, academic discussion, and sharing of my story.  Life may be madness as we go back to caring for two kids under two years old.  

I have learned a lot about myself this year.  I have found parts of myself that I had lost over the years. I remember how important it is to be open with others, to forgive, and to be patient.  I hope all the lessons I have learned stick with me and are not short lived.  I feel a renewed sense of self and purpose, one that I hope I can keep strong in my heart.  I will always be grateful to so many who have been in this journey with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment