February is Heart Awareness Month and this year, we did a couple of fun things. I made heart crayons for Ripley's preschool class and Madison's TK class. One of the photos we took was used in a heart warrior video for Mended Little Hearts.
For the second year in a row, Fremont made a Proclamation of Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week and three heart families were presented with a copy of the Proclamation at a City Council meeting.
It is so special that the city does some outreach on this very important cause that affects so many people.
In March, shelter in place began in the U.S. due to COVID-19 and its spread. This meant that Ripley's preschool was closed, our spring break plans to take a cruise were cancelled, and life changed a lot. I spoke to a couple of pediatric cardiologists about risks to heart warriors and precautions to take. Ripley is not seen as immunocompromised and does not typically have extra restrictions put on him.
Thankfully, we have stayed healthy and have not been exposed to COVID-19. Preliminary research suggested that having a CHD did not leave people at higher risk for a difficult prognosis and also that children typically tend not to have as severe of symptoms. Nonetheless, research still continues and we are taking our precautions for Ripley and our family members who are elderly or have health conditions.
I was able to donate blood last week for the first time in quite a while. The past two times that I had tried to donate blood, my hemoglobin levels were too low. When I am able to donate blood, I like telling the staff person helping me about Ripley and how Ripley needed donor blood so I see the importance of giving back. When donating blood, they tested for COVID antibodies and my test came back negative.
Ripley turns four years old in one month and we already are resigned to the fact that we will not have a big birthday party like we usually do. We also likely will not get to have a big celebration for his heartiversary in September. He is at an age where I don't think he will mind though and we will make sure to take some photos.
Currently, Ripley is on an annual schedule to see a pediatric cardiologist in November. We changed insurance carriers this year so he would be seeing someone different from before. I e-mailed his new pediatrician to ask about his four year old well child check (which will include vaccinations) and about whether to have his cardiology visit earlier. We will see how all of that pans out.
Otherwise, Ripley has been a happy little boy without any particular issues. His sister has had awful seasonal allergies and has to take medicine daily; Ripley does not. He has been enjoying the warm summer weather and is growing a lot. The next time that we go to Disneyland...whenever that will be, he will be able to ride most of the bigger rides! We look forward to when we can have some fun adventures again.



No comments:
Post a Comment