Thursday, September 14, 2017

Superhero Heart Run

Last Sunday, we were happy to participate in the second annual Superhero Heart Run - Bay Area.  It was a great day to celebrate our heart warriors and commemorate all the heart angels.  It was also a very hot day, but we still managed to enjoy ourselves.  

Team Running for Ripley raised $2100 (plus an additional $275 in the silent auction) and had 43 members running/walking at the event.  We are so grateful for all the support we received from our efforts in honor of Ripley to benefit Congenital Heart Defect Awareness, Research, and Patient Support programs.  Although this journey has been tiring and challenging, remembering we have support and love for our son keeps us going strong.

This event will happen once a year, but the CHD journey will always affect our family, our son, and so many other families as CHDs affect 1 in 100 babies.  We plan to stay active with this cause and Superhero Heart Run. 




Here is a video of the Heart Warrior parade at the event.  
Walking through all the supporters cheering while holding my Super Ripley made me tear up. Thinking about how much all these children (and some adults too!) have gone through makes me feel so blessed that medical advances allow them to have a better chance at a full life.  https://www.facebook.com/superheroheartrun/videos/1620057821357969

Last Friday, we went back to UCSF for neuropsychological and physical development assessments because Ripley is part of a CHD-MRI study to see how children with CHDs develop over time.  The psychologist and the neonatologist both said that Ripley is developing right on track.

It was emotional to be back at UCSF, the site of Ripley's open heart surgery, one year and two days after his surgery.  UCSF is such a special place to us because of all the good the medical professionals do for the kids, but also such a sad place because of all the illness and pain that brings the kids there.  We feel so blessed that our Ripley is doing well and came back as a research study participant, rather than an ICU patient, but we know of many children who have to return to UCSF often for complications that arise.


I hope to update the blog more in the future, but things may be busy as I am in the process of starting my Estate Planning law firm.  I really enjoy assisting families with this important planning, something I know is so important as a parent, especially a parent of a medically complicated child.  I look forward to having my own business so that I can really stay client focused, ensure the plans are customized for each family's situation, and develop long-term relationships.  I think that my experiences as a lawyer and as Ripley's mom have given me the patience, empathy, and attention to detail really necessary to effectively serve families with this type of planning that no one wants to think about.  I am excited for this next stage, but nervous as well.  Here's to the next steps and to hopefully having more flexibility to enjoy the special moments with my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment