Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Blood of another man

Today, we received a packet of information from UCSF to prepare us for Ripley's surgery next week.  Something I didn't really think about is that donor blood will be on hand for blood transfusion during the surgery.  It is somehow strange to think that my child would have the blood of another man in his system.  This makes me incredibly grateful for the contribution of this person (and all healthy people who choose to donate blood) to the survival of my baby.  

I donated blood once when I was on a work trip in Kansas City.  Since then, however, I've either been a little anemic or pregnant, both reasons I would not be able to give blood.  When I donated, it didn't really occur to me where the blood would be going and what circumstances the person receiving it would be going through.  We read about increased needs for blood when big disasters occur, but at least I don't really consider the more frequent reasons that blood is necessary.  

The contributions of time and skill by the medical professionals taking care of my baby are obvious and apparent, but the contribution of one's blood is one that will literally live inside of him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment